Two Israelis hurt in second shooting attack in West Bank
Two Israelis were wounded late last night when shots were fired at their vehicle near the Rimonim Junction on Route 60, east of Ramallah, just a day after a fatal shooting attack on the same road left four Israelis dead.
One of the victims was seriously wounded, according to the Magen David Adom emergency rescue service. The other was lightly wounded.
Initial reports suggest that the shooting may have been accompanied by a hand grenade thrown at the vehicle, which caused it to overturn in a ditch next to the road.
Earlier in the day, settler leaders launched a public campaign against the possibility of a renewed freeze on residential construction in West Bank settlements in response to Tuesday's attack, which left four Israelis dead near Kiryat Arba.
Dozens of heads of West Bank regional councils, settlement secretaries and activists convened in the settlement of Psagot near Ramallah to draft a program for what they described as "awakening the public to the danger of the diplomatic process."
Those present decided on a number of activities to advance their cause, including not only unilaterally renewing building, but waging a hunger strike, disrupting the education system, rallies and blocking traffic junctions.
According to the draft plan, during the first week of a renewed freeze, regional heads and public figures would stage a hunger strike, in the second week activists would interrupt municipal services and in the third, they would disrupt the education system.
"In every settlement, a building will be put up as a community building in an open, publicly visible manner and with the maximum participation of community members," an activist said.
A campaign will also be launched including placards and media ads bearing the slogan "Bibi, don't turn into Sharon." Ariel Sharon, once seen as a hero of the right, was prime minister during the 2005 evacuation of the Gaza Strip settlements.
Benny Katzover, former chair of the Samaria Regional Council, told those assembled that their campaign aims to "play cat and mouse with the army."
Meanwhile, the Yesha Council of settlements has already begun building in a number of settlements, and have labeled the initiative, "Arabs kill and we build." Foundations for new structures have been built in Kiryat Arba as well as Kedumim and Adam, despite the fact that the freeze is officially in effect until the end of this month.
The IDF has yet to decide how or whether to respond to the provocations. In the wake of Tuesday's attack, troops on the ground are now heavily involved in protecting roadways and settlements.
Following Tuesday's attack, settlers conducted a number of small-scale "price tag" counterattacks yesterday. In Hebron, a group of children threw stones at a Palestinian home, and others tried to enter the nearby village of Bani Na'im but were turned away by Border Police officers. Residents of Beit Hagai - the Hebron Hills settlement where the four shooting victims lived - have also said they plan to build new structures.
IDF sources said the army would try not to get dragged into the settlers' provocations.
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed