Uri Blau
Haaretz reporter Uri Blau, who received classfied documents allegedly taken by a former IDF soldier. Photo by (Archive)
Text size

Haaretz journalist Uri Blau was questioned under caution by the police and the Shin Bet security service on Tuesday over the classified army documents he received from former soldier Anat Kamm.

The interrogation, which took place in the Lod headquarters of the police's international investigations division, lasted about 10 hours. Police said he is unlikely to be summoned again, except possibly to fill in a few details.

Among other things, he was questioned about how he had stored the classified material he received, how much material he had in his possession and who else had been given access to the material.

He was also asked about Kamm's statement that she, while serving in the office of the GOC Central Command, had given him some of the documents.

Blau returned to Israel from London this week after signing an agreement with judicial authorities that made this possible. He had been in London for almost a year while the deal was being hammered out.

According to a statement issued by the Justice Ministry upon his return, the deal committed him to present himself for questioning under caution within 48 hours of his arrival. The investigation will last as long as necessary, it said, and the material will then be transferred to the prosecution, which will consider whether to press charges.

The statement also said Blau had signed an affidavit affirming that none of the documents he received from Kamm remained in his possession in any format whatsoever, and had promised to undergo a polygraph test to confirm this if so requested.

The final decision on his case, it added, will be made by Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein, "because of the matter's sensitivity, because it concerns a journalist who claims to be holding classified material as part of an established practice, and because the earlier agreement with Blau was based on an opinion by the attorney general's predecessor," Menachem Mazuz.

The probe against Blau began in 2008, when he published an investigative report that exposed classified military documents related to army assassinations of wanted Palestinians. After it was published, officials began an investigation to locate the source of the documents.