The prosecution yesterday asked a court to set conditions for the release of Adrian Schwartz, who was convicted of raping a 10-year-old girl in a Jerusalem bomb shelter and sentenced to 20 years in jail.
He is due to be released on September 2.
Schwartz was originally convicted in 1991. He was later granted a retrial on the basis of new DNA evidence that had not been available at the time of his original trial, but ultimately was convicted again. The new evidence did not rule him out as the rapist, the court said in its ruling, and therefore did not suffice to undermine the prosecution's original evidence against him.
Since then, a law has been passed that allows courts to impose restrictive conditions on released sex offenders in order to protect the public. For instance, a court can require the offender to show up at a police station at regular intervals or to hold regular meetings with a parole officer, restrict him from meeting with minors or from going to certain types of places, bar him from being in the vicinity of his victim's home, prevent him from holding certain types of jobs and restrict his possession of sexually arousing material.
Yesterday, the prosecution asked the Tel Aviv District Court to impose such restrictions on Schwartz before his release. As prosecutors noted during his sentencing hearing, he has a history of sexual assaults on young girls, and thus, they argued, he constitutes a real danger to the public.
"There are girls walking around among us who don't know that they are his next victim," prosecutor Yossi Kurtzberg said at that hearing. "The defendant has made a career of sexual crimes. I am trying to prevent his release by any legal means."
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now