Text size

An Israeli air strike killed at least one Palestinian militant from the Islamic Jihad and wounded two others in the northern Gaza Strip on Tuesday.

The IDF Spokesman's Office said a "cell involved in terror operations was attacked." Military officials said the militants were involved in recent terror attacks, and that the strike was not in response to rockets fired from Gaza on Sunday and Monday, which landed in the western Negev with no casualties.

The level of alert was raised for Israelis living near the Gaza Strip after the strike in expectation of rocket fire in response.

Palestinian officials named the dead man as Abdallah al-Telbani, 22, and said he was riding in a motorized rickshaw in Jabaliya refugee camp when the attack took place. It was not immediately clear if the other casualties were with him.

Israeli public radio said the dead man was a member of Islamic Jihad, but the movement's armed wing, the Al-Quds Brigades, said none of its members were hit.

"The Israel Defense Forces will not tolerate any attempt to harm Israeli civilians and ... soldiers, and will operate against anyone who uses terror against the State of Israel," said the IDF Spokesman, without elaborating.

The strike took place on the third anniversary of the start of Operation Cast Lead, Israel's devastating 22-day offensive against the Hamas-ruled coastal strip, and came as the militant group and its Fatah rivals sought to implement a reconciliation deal.

The last Israeli strike on Gaza was on December 11, when a Palestinian father and his daughter were wounded in a raid that apparently targeted a neighboring building in Gaza City.

Two days earlier, a man and his 12-year-old son were killed and 10 civilians wounded when an Israeli air strike hit a family home in Gaza City that was located next to a Hamas militant training ground.

On December 7, Ismail al-Areer, 22, a member of the Al-Quds Brigades, was killed in a strike that wounded five other members of the movement.

The operations followed days of rising tensions, with Gaza militants lobbing a barrage of rockets into southern Israel and the Israeli military launching a series of air raids.