Italy will demand that Germany goes after former Nazis found guilty of war crimes by Italian courts, Foreign Minister Giulio Terzi di Sant'Agata said Wednesday.
In October, judges refused to prosecute eight former Nazis who had been convicted in Italy for the 1944 killing of 560 civilians in Sant'Anna di Stazzema, a town in Tuscany.
"We will continue to demand that Germany applies Italian rulings ... I think this is a firm commitment of Italian authorities," Terzi di Sant'Agata said.
He was speaking at the presentation of a report by Italian and German historians on Nazi atrocities. German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle was also present.
Italy has tried dozens of former Nazi officers in absentia. As Germany does not extradite its citizens, the convictions can become effective only if they are tried again at home.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now