Text size

Three people injured in the forest fire are still hospitalized in very serious condition at Rambam Medical Center in Haifa. The three are the chief of the Haifa police, Commander Ahuva Tomer, who suffered burns to 90 percent of her body; Jezreel Valley fire and rescue service officer Danny Hayat, who suffered burns to 65 percent of his body, and Prison Service cadet Bissan Jalal. The three, who are in an induced coma and are breathing through artificial means, are surrounded by dozens of family members, and friends.

One of the visitors at the hospital yesterday was Magen David Adom paramedic Yuval Levental, who was the first to treat Tomer's injuries. "She managed to tell me she couldn't breath, so we put her on a ventilator and sedated her," he said. "Only later did I understand who she was. It was like a shock - she's someone I only knew from afar, when she presided over different events and incidents. "

Alongside relatives and friends, Tomer was visited by subordinates and fellow officers from the Haifa and north district police. , including Chief Superintendent Yehuda Maman. "We we're going up and she came in front of us. We yelled at her to turn around, but she couldn't hear us," he said.

Fireman Danny Hayat suffered serious burns in attempting to rescue cadets from the burning Prison Service bus on Thursday. His partner suffered critical burns and died at the scene. Hayat will undergo surgery today for skin transplants. "He's getting stronger every hour and is feeling better. We're optimistic," his mother, Bat Sheva, said. "He understands when we talk to him and when he hears the names of his children, he moves his hand."

At the fireman's bedside has been his wife, who is pregnant, his family and colleagues.

The family of Bissan Jalal, a 29-year-old Prison Service cadet from Jatt in the Galilee, gathered yesterday outside the intensive care unit. "We didn't know he was going to the fire and grew worried only when we heard the news," said his father, Bissan.