Channel 10 Cameraman Shot by IDF Troops in Gaza Strip

Israeli civilian seriously wounded when mortar shells hit Erez zone; six people wounded by Qassams in Sderot; Qassam kills Jabalya girl.

A cameraman working for Israel's Channel 10 television lays in critical condition at Be'er Sheva's Soroka Medical Center, after he was shot Sunday by IDF troops operating near the town of Beit Lahiya, in the Gaza Strip.

Majdi al-Arabeid, a Palestinian who films for the channel in the Gaza Strip, was accompanying the station's reporter Shlomi Eldar. Eldar told Israel Radio that the al-Arabeid was shot by troops in the stomach and leg without warning.

The two approached a structure occupied by the troops when shots were fired. Eldar said the gunshots came from the roof of the building, and added that no warning shots were fired and that the shooting was unprovoked. Al-Arabeid and Eldar did not carry patches identifying them as 'Press,' but wore '10 News' signs.

The cameraman dropped his camera and left it at the scene, while Eldar kept recording the event with another camera. The footage, however, could not be used.

Al-Arabeid was first evacuated to Shifa hospital in the Gaza Strip. But doctors were unable to stop the bleeding, and he was later transferred to Soroka Medical Center, where he is hospitalized in the hospital's trauma center.

One Israeli civilian was seriously wounded late on Sunday morning when Palestinians fired two mortar shells at the Erez industrial zone on the northern border between Israel and the Gaza Strip.

The mortar shells, which his a garage where the man was working, were apparently fired from the nearby Palestinian village of Beit Lahia. The shelling came just hours after Israel Defense Forces had entered the area to prevent such attacks. The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine claimed responsibility for the mortar attack.

The 25-year-old man, who suffered wounds to his chest and limbs, was evacuated to Barzilai Medical Center in Ashkelon.

One woman was lightly wounded and five people also suffered from shock in Sderot on Sunday morning when Palestinians fired two Qassam rockets at the western Negev town.

One of the rockets fell in the yard of a private home, causing damage to the residence. The second rocket hit a parking lot in the Sderot industrial zone, damaging a number of vehicles.

Palestinians fired two additional Qassam rockets into Israel on Sunday afternoon. One rocket hit a residential neighborhood in Sderot and another hit a kibbutz in the western Negev, damaging a car.

In response to the rocket fire on Sderot, IDF infantry, armored and combat engineering units on Sunday morning entered northern Gaza`s Jabalya refugee camp and the village of Beit Hanun in the northeastern corner of the Gaza Strip. They forces left the northern Gaza Strip on Sunday evening.

Before dawn Sunday, Golani Brigade infantry soldiers in the nothern Gaza Strip spotted two Qassam rocket launchers. An Israel Air Force helicopter fired missiles at the launchers destroying both before the rockets could be fired, Israel Radio reported.

Palestinians continued to fire mortar shells at Gush Katif after IDF units pulled out of Khan Yunis following an operation aimed at halting the shellings.

Palestinians fired 14 mortar shells early Sunday at targets in the Gaza Strip. Some of the shells landed in Gush Katif settlements, while others fell near IDF outposts in the area. There were no casualties in the shelling attacks.

IDF units had pulled out from Khan Yunis in the Gaza Strip on Sunday morning and were repositioned around the town's northern neighborhoods.

In the West Bank, IDF troops arrested 12 wanted Palestinians before dawn on Sunday. Ten were arrested in Dura, located west of Hebron, and two others were arrested in Azun, southeast of Qalqilyah.

Five Palestinians were killed in Gaza over the weekend - four as a result of clashes with the IDF - while a girl, 12, from the Jabalya refugee camp was killed by a Palestinian Qassam rocket that misfired.

The five Palestinian dead included two armed men from Khan Yunis who were killed by an IAF missile Friday morning and a 17-year-old militant who was wounded on Friday by IDF fire and died later, raising to 10 the total of Palestinian casualties in Operation Purple Iron in Khan Yunis, which was launched on Wednesday. A Palestinian who was laying explosives south of the Termit outpost was also shot dead.

There were no Israeli casualties in any of the weekend's incidents despite barrages of Qassam rockets and mortar shells fired on the western Negev. During Operation Purple Iron, troops were deployed on the border of the Al-Amal neighborhood in the northern part of the city, and exchanges of fire continued the next few days. IDF sources said the Khan Yunis operation is nearing its end.

Among the Palestinian casualties this past week was an 18-year-old with Down Syndrome. Most of the casualties were militants from Hamas, various factions of Fatah and Islamic Jihad. Palestinian sources reported 27 wounded, including six children. Three IDF soldiers from the Givati Brigade were wounded on Thursday.

Some 10 mortar shells were fired over the past two days at Gush Katif and particularly at Kfar Darom, just to the north of Gush Katif, from areas of Khan Yunis where the IDF was deployed. There were no casualties.

Hamas fired five Qassam rockets on Sderot and the kibbutzim of the western Negev over the weekend. There were no casualties, but a commercial building in Sderot was damaged.

In Jabalya, when the rocket misfired, it landed near the refugee camp and killed the 12-year-old girl, identified as Ibtehal Abu Daher, and wounded her brother.

In view of the rocket fire on Sderot, tank and infantry forces have been deployed along the border of the Gaza Strip.

Soldiers opened fire at a cell of three militants who were planting explosives south of the Termit outpost, killing one. The other two may have been wounded.

In another incident soldiers fired at three Palestinians who were armed with an rocket-propelled grenade and were approaching Kfar Darom. Two were wounded.

At the Gush Katif intersection the IDF arrested two Islamic Jihad militants who, the army said, had been involved in planning a terror attack for the near future.