5-year-old swimming pool shock victim dies
Police believe Itai Freum was killed by an electric current transmitted by a wire connected to a water pump.
A 5-year-old boy died yesterday after suffering electric shock while swimming in a public pool in Kiryat Motzkin earlier this week.
The boy, Itai Freum, was from the Haifa suburb of Kiryat Haim.
His electrocution is believed to have been caused by an electric current transmitted by a wire connected to a water pump. The wire ran along an awning affixed a few meters above the pool.
Police questioned the owner of the establishment, Gabi Ben Galim, over the incident, and authorities are still investigating whether negligence played a role.
The day began innocently enough for the Freum family. Arieh and Deganit took their two children - Liran, and his younger brother Itai - to the Galei Gil country club in Kiryat Motzkin.
"We decided we were going to be spontaneous and take advantage of the last two weeks of summer vacation," said Arieh Freum, an executive at the investment firm Clal Finance. "I work a lot and we don't get many chances to spend time together."
According to Freum, he was swimming with his two sons and filming them with a video camcorder. "We were in the pool, we were going on the slides, and Itai wanted to go into the kiddie pool. Then I went to the bigger adult pool.It happened five minutes later."
The kiddie pool features a mushroom-shaped structure that acts as a mini-waterfall. The contraption is hooked up to an electric cable.
Police investigators suspect the cable had been exposed, due to improper installation.
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed