The condition of a 5-year-old boy electrocuted Monday at a swimming pool has reportedly deteriorated. Itai Freum, of Kiryat Haim, was electrocuted in a pool at the Galei Gil country club in Kiryat Motzkin. Police are investigating whether any negligence was involved in the incident and said they are awaiting the professional opinion of a certified electrician, who is examining the cause of the electrocution.
The country club has been closed down by court order until the circumstances of the incident are clarified and any safety hazards are fixed. Police questioned the owner of Galei Gil, and the employee responsible for maintenance at the site was released under house arrest for five days.
Freum is believed to have been swimming with dozens of other small children in the kiddie pool when he was electrocuted by an exposed electrical cable used to operate a fountain in the middle of the pool. Dana Zafran, who was at the country club when the incident occurred, said that everyone who had been in the pool several moments before the electrocution had felt shocks in their legs.
Medical staff at Haifa's Rambam Medical Center later said that Freum had been clinically dead for a significant amount of time.
The damage the boy sustained as a result of the electrocution and having lost consciousness remains unclear.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now