Egypt: No assassination attempt on Vice President Suleiman
Fox News reports armed assassins targeted the convoy in which Omar Suleiman was traveling, killing two of his bodyguards.
A senior Egyptian security source denied on Saturday a report carried in U.S. media of an assassination attempt on Egypt's Vice President Omar Suleiman
The source, who did not want to be named, said there was no truth to the report at all.
Fox News reported on Saturday that recently appointed Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman has survived an attempted assassination.
According to the report, armed assassins targeted the convoy in which Suleiman was traveling, killing two of his bodyguards.
Fox News reported that the U.S. confirmed the reports of the failed assassination attempt, however White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs declined to address the reports.
"I'm not going to... get into that question," Gibbs told Fox News.
Embattled Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak appointed last week the former air force commander and aviation minister in efforts to stem popular rage against his autocratic regime.
Suleiman is the first vice-president of Egypt to be appointed since Mubarak first took power almost thirty years ago. Mubarak himself occupied the position of vice-president under the former Egyptian president Anwar Sadat, and took the reigns of power after Sadat was assassinated in 1981.
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed