Egypt's Hosni Mubarak - Reuters - Oct 19, 2010
Egypt's ousted President Hosni Mubarak in Cairo October 19, 2010. Photo by Reuters
Text size

Egypt's public prosecutor has issued an order that imposes a travel ban on former President Hosni Mubarak and his family while complaints against them are being investigated, a prosecutor's spokesman said on Monday.

He did not detail the complaints, but the prosecutor's spokesman Adel el-Saeed said an official order had been issued, adding that the order also put a freeze on their money and assets.

The move Monday by Egypt's top prosecutor is the latest measure against the Mubaraks. The prosecutor on Feb. 20 ordered the assets of the ousted president, his wife, two sons and their wives to be frozen.

Mubarak stepped down Feb. 11 at the end of 18 days of massive protests demanding his ouster.

Egypt's ruler of nearly 30 years, Mubarak handed the reins of power to the military, and is now believed to be living in seclusion with his family in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.