Pullout foes chain shut 167 schools and preschools
Activists hang signs on chained gates reading 'Jews don't expel Jews'; Education Min. Livnat urges probe.
Anti-disengagement activists chained the gates of 167 schools and preschools in Tel Aviv, Holon and Ramat Gan early Tuesday morning.
Placards reading "Jews don't expel Jews" were also hung on the schools' gates.
Police were informed of the incidents by security guards and teachers who arrived at their work places only to found themselves locked out.
Firefighters were called to cut the chains.
Education Minister Limor Livnat demanded of Israel Police Chief Moshe Karadi that police find and bring to justice those responsible for the chaining of the gates.
"This is violent unruliness that should not be ignored," Livnat was quoted as saying by Israel Radio.
Extreme-right activist Federman under house arrestIsrael Defense Forces GOC Central Command Major General Yair Naveh issued an administrative arrest order against extreme-right activist Noam Federman.
Federman, who is already under partial house arrest, will not be allowed to leave his home in the West Bank settlement of Mitzpe Yericho for the next four and a half months, until after the disengagement plan. The order cited "security reasons" for the decision.
Federman said in reaction that, "we are living in a dictatorship. I will not be deterred from acting, I am creating a command center from my home."
Police release 21 right-wing protestersThe police decided Monday evening to release 21 right-wing activists who appeared earlier in the day in the Tel Aviv Magistrate's Court for a remand hearing, following their arrest for blocking the Ayalon Highway on Sunday morning.
A total of 28 adults suspected of participating in the anti-disengagement protest action were arrested, with the prosecution telling the court Monday that police intended to file indictments against seven of them.
The remaining 21 were ordered held in custody for three to four days to allow the police to move forward with their investigation. But investigators concluded last night that they did not have sufficient evidence to tie the 21 to the charges.
As a result, and following consultations with the police prosecution division, Yarkon District investigators decided to release the suspects on their own recognizance.
Yarkon District commander Brigadier General Ezra Aharon said that despite the decision to release the suspects, the police would continue its examination of the evidence against them.
Attorney Ori Keinan, who is representing the suspects, said he was pleased the police "finally understood that the arrests were pointless. I hope that the seven remaining detainees will also be released tomorrow morning by the District Court."
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed