Text size

Indictments were submitted Thursday against two youths suspected of cutting down 120 grapevines belonging to a Palestinian farmer at Givat Harsina in Hebron.

The youths, aged 17, residents of Be'er Sheva and Alon Shvut, were arrested on Tuesday after bragging to police officers that they had cut the vines from the Palestinian's trees.

Some 15 complaints have been filed with police through the Yesh Din organization against Israeli civilians for sabotaging Palestinian crops since April.

The latest such incident took place in the West Bank village of Salem on Sunday.

Some 200 olive trees were cut down only a day after the Kibbutz Movement sent volunteers to help the farmers whose groves had been earlier sabotaged by settlers.

Palestinian eyewitnesses said they saw two Israelis with chain saws cutting the trees overnight. One of them was wearing khaki trousers and carrying a rifle, an eyewitness said.

The men, apparently Jewish settlers, allegedly fled the scene after they noticed they had been spotted.