Palestinians Hurl Pipe Bomb at Border Police Near J'lem Fence

Three policemen lightly wounded in the incident; IDF troops arrest 18 militants in Monday West Bank raids.

Palestinians hurled a pipe bomb at Border Policemen patrolling near the separation fence in southern Jerusalem, Israel Radio reported before dawn on Tuesday.

According to the report, three policemen were lightly wounded in the attack and were treated on the spot.

The militants fled shortly after the incident, heading for a refugee camp near the West Bank city of Bethlehem, according to the report.

Police began scanning the area around the refugee camp before dawn on Tuesday.

IDF troops arrest 18 militants in Monday W. Bank raidsIsrael Defense Forces troops arrested 18 wanted Palestinian militants in a series of pre-dawn raids across the West Bank on Monday.

Forces arrested five militants in the Hebron region, ten in the Jenin area, and another three in Beitunya, southwest of Ramallah.

Palestinians opened fire on paratroopers operating in the Balata refugee camp on the outskirts of the city of Nablus. There were no casualties in the incident.

Undercover forces kill Islamic Jihad leaderOn Sunday, the Border Police's undercover unit killed a senior regional Islamic Jihad operative near Jenin.

The incident took place less than an hour after three Israelis were killed by Palestinian gunmen in Gush Etzion, but there was no connection between the two incidents.

According to IDF sources, the undercover troops were on a routine mission in the area between Jenin and Qabatiyah.

Israeli forces are continuing occasional missions in the area despite the fact that four settlements there were evacuated during the disengagement.

The member of the Jihad's armed wing, identified as 26-year-old Nihad Abu-Gheinem, happened to pass through the area by chance, military sources said. He noticed the military vehicle in which the undercover troops were sitting and fired in its direction with his pistol.

No one was wounded but the troops returned fire, killing Abu-Gheinem.

Palestinian sources said, however, that the Israeli operatives spotted Abu-Gheinem and another man in a car and blocked their way with their vehicle. There was then an exchange of fire, they said, during which Abu-Gheinem was killed.