Tahini product recalled after tests revealed listeria
The bacteria is regarded as being highly dangerous by Israel’s Ministry of Health.
Shamir Salads has recalled a tahini product after dangerous bacteria were found during a sample testing, Arutz Sheva reported on Tuesday.
The bacteria, listeria monocytogenes, cause the listeriosis infection. It is regarded as being highly dangerous by Israel’s Ministry of Health, causing such high-risk diseases as immune system-suppression and miscarriage.
The product recalled is the 330-gram container of tahini spread, labeled with a 16.5.14 expiry date.
A check of the company's website on Tuesday revealed that it was down for "updates."
Earlier this month, a 30-year-old tourist from South Africa died in Shaare Zedek Medical Center in Jerusalem after eating tahini at a restaurant in Israel. The woman, who was allergic to sesame, did not know that tahini (“tehina”) was made from sesame seeds and developed a severe allergic reaction shortly after her meal.
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed