Mubarak trial August 3, 2011 (AP)
Egyptian army soldiers (illustrative) Photo by AP
Text size

Egypt's ruling military council vowed Friday it would not bow to threats and plots that it said aimed to spread chaos in the country, one day before the first anniversary of the ouster of
former president Hosni Mubarak.

"We will never succumb to threats and will not give in to pressure," the council said in a statement read on state TV.

The country is facing threats "to undermine institutions and topple the state, so that chaos reigns and destruction prevails," the council said.

Protesters have been calling for collective acts of civil disobedience to pressure the military to speed up the transfer of power starting Saturday. While more than 30 protest groups are
supporting the strike, it remains unclear how it will affect the country.

Troops and armored vehicles have been deployed countrywide outside key state institutions, including Cairo airport.

Muslim and Coptic religious figures have condemned the strike, and the powerful Muslim Brotherhood group, which controls 47 per cent of the newly elected parliament, said it will not take part in an action that would hurt the economy.

Despite being credited with supporting the revolution last year, the Supreme Council of the Armed Forces have been attacked by activists and several political forces who accuse it of spreading chaos and inciting violence in the country to prolong its stay in power.

The junta that has been ruling Egypt since the popular revolt that forced Mubarak from office has pledged to transfer power to a civilian administration by July.