Mubarak verdict - AFP - June 3, 2012
Supporters of Hosni Mubarak covering their faces behind a portrait of the ousted Egyptian leader in 2012. Photo by AFP
Text size

An Egyptian official says the top prosecutor will appeal the verdict in Hosni Mubarak's trial, which acquitted the former leader and his two sons on corruption charges and cleared senior police officers of complicity in killing protesters during last year's uprising.

The prosecutor must appeal the entire verdict, which also included convictions and life sentences for Mubarak and his former security chief for failing to stop the killing of protesters in the uprising that ousted him.

Six top police commanders, who faced the same charge of complicity in killing protesters, were acquitted for what the judge said was lack of concrete evidence.

The official spoke Sunday on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to media.

Thousands of Egyptians took to the streets in protest of the verdicts, some wanting the death sentence for Mubarak, others fearing weaknesses in the prosecution's case could enable him to appeal successfully against his life sentence.

"The general prosecutor has also banned the six officers from travel," the assistant said.

Nile News television channel reported the prosecutor's decision to appeal earlier, but gave no details.

Read this article in Hebrew