Beirut car bombing.
Two Lebanese men remove a dead body from a burned car, at the scene where two explosions have struck near the Iranian Embassy killing many, in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday Nov. 19, 2013. Photo by AP
Text size
AFP
Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah gives an interview to local television station OTV at an undisclosed location in Lebanon, Dec. 3 2013. Photo by AFP

The leader of Lebanon's militant Hezbollah group has accused Saudi Arabia of being behind last month's two suicide bombings that targeted the Iranian Embassy in Beirut.

Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah's comments mark the first time Hezbollah has openly accused the kingdom, and signal a sharp escalation in the Shi'ite Muslim group's rhetoric.

An Al-Qaida linked group has claimed responsibility for the Nov. 19 attack that killed 23 people, saying it was in response to Hezbollah and Iran's involvement in Syria.

Nasrallah said the claim was credible but accused Saudi intelligence of providing backing and support. He also said Saudi intelligence was behind daily terrorist attacks in Iraq.

Nasrallah spoke in an interview Tuesday with Lebanon's private OTV network.