In response to the firing of a rocket that hit the Eshkol Regional Council earlier on Saturday, the Israel Defense Forces targeted two sites in the Gaza Strip overnight Saturday.
The Israel Air Force struck two terror activity sites in the southern and central Gaza Strip, and direct hits were confirmed, the IDF spokesperson said in a statement.
The strikes were in response to Saturday’s earlier rocket fire, the IDF spokesperson said.
“The IDF will not tolerate any attempt to harm Israeli civilians and IDF soldiers, and will continue to operate with strength and determination against anyone who uses terror against the State of Israel. The Hamas terror organization is solely responsible for any terrorist activity emanating from the Gaza Strip,” the statement said.
Earlier this month, IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz warned that continued rocket fire from the Gaza Strip is liable to lead to a large-scale Israel Defense Forces operation in Gaza.
"The recent rounds of escalation and the harm to both the lives and daily routine of residents of the south is leading to the IDF being asked to undertake a significant offensive in the Gaza Strip," he told the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee.
But the army must not be dragged into such an operation, he said; any offensive must be a well-organized Israeli initiative.
Want to enjoy 'Zen' reading - with no ads and just the article? Subscribe todaySubscribe now