AG closes sexual harassment case against Maj. Gen. Uri Bar-Lev
In November 2010 Dr. Orly Innes accused then-candidate for police commissioner of sexual assault two years ago; Bar;Lev has since resigned from the police force.
Attorney General Yehuda Weinstein announced Thursday that the probe against Major General Uri Bar-Lev over alleged sexual assault will close, despite evidence supporting the petitioner Orly Innes' claims of assault.
"During the decision-making process with regards to the affair, Maj. Gen. Uri Bar-Lev requested, via his attorneys, to take full responsibility for his inappropriate behavior toward Innes, and expressed regret for harming her good name as a result of the various publications that followed the affair," the attorney general's office wrote in a statement.
"As part of taking responsibility Bar-Lev requested to apologize to Dr. Innes and also decided to resign from the police," a statement from Weinstein's office said, adding that "after the issues were presented before Innes, it was decided based on the police investigation unit's recommendation and the prosecution's position, that in light of the nature of the acts and the public and legal circumstances of the of the matter, there is no further justification to push forward with the proceedings and the attorney general orderedt o close the case."
In November 2010, Dr. Orly Innes accused Bar-Lev of forcing himself on her sexually after the two met during a police conference in Eilat two years ago. She also complained about then-Public Security Ministry director general Hagai Peleg who had overseen Cities Without Violence, the program that she coordinated as a consultant for the ministry. Among her complaints, Innes said that Peleg harassed her and even sexually harassed her. Peleg has denied her claims.
Bar-Lev, who was one of the leading candidates for commissioner of the Israel Police withdrew his candidacy last month and informed Weinstein that he was taking leave during the investigation.
Earlier this week, Innes filed a complaint with the police claiming that over the past two months, she had been the victim of harassment and attempts to frighten her.
Innes said that part of the efforts to scare her included the breaking into of her car and the theft of a bag containing personal documents. She also claimed that in recent months, she sensed that she was under surveillance.
Innes has reportedly told people close to her that she feels that she is in real danger and fears that she may be harmed. She refused however, when contacted yesterday by Haaretz, to make any comment on her complaints to the police.
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed