Israel Police.
Illustration: Israel Police. Photo by Daniel Bar-On
Text size

A 42-year-old woman from Tel Mond, near the city of Israeli coastal city of Netanya, was stabbed to death Tuesday morning, apparently by her former lover.

Magen David Adom rescue service medics and paramedics who arrived on the scene immediately began resuscitation operations on Nava Chen Ashraf, who was then evacuated to Meir Hospital in Kfar Sava. She was pronounced dead at the hospital. The suspect, whose identity is known to the police, fled the scene of the crime and an extensive manhunt is now underway to find him.

The deceased, who was a hairstylist, filed two complaints with the police this month, claiming the suspect was harassing her and had even threatened her. This was apparently related to the woman’s decision last month to terminate their relationship.

The suspect, 49, has no fixed address and lives in his car. In the first complaint, which was filed with Netanya police earlier this month, the woman provided two addresses for the suspect. However, according to the police, he was not located at either address. On October 16, the second complaint was filed when the woman said that he was still harassing her and that he was sending offensive messages to her Facebook page; however, again the police were unable to locate him.

The suspect appeared Tuesday morning at the woman’s home in Tel Mond. She emerged from her home and he allegedly stabbed her in the belly. Although there are no children from this relationship, the dead woman has three daughters, aged 8, 17 and 21. The middle daughter found her mother lying in the entrance path to their home.

A neighbor of the murdered woman, Tzipi Kozikaro, said that the suspect was “obsessively jealous.” The neighbor described the victim as a woman who “was a very positive, happy individual; she wanted to end this relationship.”

Last month, a resident of the Lower Galilee village of Dabburiya, Bashir Najar murdered his ex-wife Zahira Jajini, two of their daughters aged 4 and 17, and the administrative director of the nursing home where his ex-wife worked, Abdessalam Azaiza, 58. The family of the murdered woman said that, four months prior to the murder, Jajini filed a complaint with the police, requesting that a restraining order be issued to protect her and her youngest daughter from Najar. Only after the murder did the dead woman’s family learn the file had been closed.