Home Libraries / The Ayalon Prison library, Ramle
Ayalon Prison opened in October 1950 in a building that had belonged to the British Mandate police. It houses 750 prisoners, most of them long-term. The prison library was opened in a renewed format in 2001 thanks to the generosity of the late Batsheva Levy. Eyal Amitai, the head of the prison's education division, is responsible for the library's management and the acquisition of books. The daily running of the library is handled by Adi (a 27-year-old prisoner serving a 15-year sentence), who has been serving as the librarian for two years now.