The top 8 headlines you might have missed / Haaretz Newsline, July 22
From Gunman firing at bus of Israeli soldiers to Palestinian grocer settling a slander suit against Sacha Baron Cohen. Haaretz.com sums up the top headlines from Israel, the Middle East, and the Jewish World.
Police in Bulgaria were investigating Sunday whether there may have been two more suspects involved in the bombing of a bus last week which killed five Israeli tourists and their Bulgarian driver, local media reported. According to the reports, the two men were in charge of backup and control of the suicide bomber.
Fighting in Syria continues, as Syrian rebels battled President Bashar Assad's forces near the main intelligence base in the northern city of Aleppo on Sunday as helicopter gunships bombarded several districts of Damascus in an effort to drive out insurgents, witnesses said. Activists estimate more than 19,000 people, most of them civilians, have been killed since March last year.
Israel fears that Syria's large chemical stocks could be seized by Hezbollah, al-Qaida-affiliated radicals or other unspecified "irresponsible elements" operating in Syria, senior Israeli defense official Amos Gilad said Sunday. However, Gilad told Army Radio that as for now, the Syrians "are protecting these arsenals as best as they can."
Following the Bulgaria bus bombing, Israeli officials have warned that an Iranian terror cell in Europe may be planning an attack at the 2012 Olympic Games, The Sunday Times reported. According to the report, more than 17,000 troops, 7,000 security guards and additional 12,500 policemen will be secure the events and patrol London's streets.
Gunmen opened fire on Sunday at a bus of Israeli soldiers that was traveling near the Israel-Egypt border. The bus was hit when it was on Route 10 near Har Sagi, southwest of Mitzpe Ramon. No casualties were reported but damage was done to the bus.
Israeli government has secretly approved an additional NIS 7.6 million for the construction of a temporary residential site for Migron settlers, an affidavit submitted to the High Court of Justice revealed. In total, the budget allocated for the construction has reached NIS 33 million. In addition, the state has filed another request to postpone the evacuation of Migron until the end of August
A 45-year-old Israeli man set himself on fire in the central Israeli city of Yehud Sunday and was evacuated in serious condition to receive medical attention. The incident comes two days after the death of Moshe Silman, an Israeli man who set himself on fire during a mass social protest last week.
A Palestinian grocer portrayed as a terrorist in the comedy "Bruno" has settled his slander suit against Jewish actor Sacha Baron Cohen and talk show host David Letterman, the Daily Mail is reported Sunday.