The top 8 headlines you might have missed / Haaretz Newsline, August 23
From a Shin Bet officer sexually harassing a female soldier to Canada's outrage over a boycott of Israeli settlements, Haaretz sums up the top headlines from Israel, the Middle East, and the Jewish World.
Threats made by Israeli officials to strike Iran's nuclear facilities represent a violation of the United Nations charter, Iran's deputy UN envoy wrote in a letter to the Security Council's president this week, adding that while Iran had no intention to attack, it would not hesitate to defend itself.
A Shin Bet security service officer resigned from the service in late spring after a civil service disciplinary court convicted him of sexually harassing a soldier, Haaretz has learned. The officer, Y, used the woman’s body to demonstrate methods of interrogation aimed at “softening up” suspects.
In closed discussions Wednesday, Defense Minister Ehud Barak sharply criticized Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman’s letter to foreign ministers from the Middle East Quartet, calling for Palestinian Authority elections to replace PA President Mahmoud Abbas.
Immigrant children should be separated from others in the school system, the Education Ministry believes, according to the State Prosecution’s appeal to the Supreme Court submitted earlier this week.
Israel’s investigation into the death of American activist Rachel Corrie was not satisfactory, and wasn’t as thorough, credible or transparent as it should have been, U.S. Ambassador to Israel Dan Shapiro told the Corrie family this week.
Canada’s Jewish community are in outrage after Canada’s largest Protestant church voted to boycott all goods exported by Israeli settlements in the West Bank, at the church’s 41st General Council this past Friday.
Jordan pulled three squad members accused of sexual assault in Northern Ireland out of the 2012 London Paralympics on Thursday, sports officials in Amman said.
The German special prosecutors' office that pursues Nazi-era crimes said Wednesday it was recommending charges be filed against an 87-year-old man on allegations he served as an SS guard at the Auschwitz death camp complex.
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed