On January 23, 1921, the community of Baghdadi Jews in Shanghai dedicated the newly built structure that was to hold the Ohel Rachel Synagogue. Named for Lady Rachel Sassoon, the late wife of Sir Jacob Elias Sassoon, and situated on Seymour Road, today North Shaanxi Road, it was designed in the Greek Revival style of London’s Bevis Marks and Lauderdale Road synagogues.