January 6, 1957, is the day that Yeshiva Kol Ya’akov opened in Moscow. The last still-functioning yeshiva had closed during the 1930s, and even the Communist authorities recognized that a need existed to have some trained rabbis in the country. During a brief thaw in the official repression of religion, an easing of the atmosphere that followed the death of Joseph Stalin in 1953, it was thought that the opening...