Explosive Device Detonates While IDF Soldiers Patrol Gaza Border

IAF hits Gaza weapon-making facilities, smuggling tunnels; Earlier IAF strike kills Gaza gunman, wounds another.

An explosive device detonated on Saturday near Israel Defense Forces soldiers patrolling along the border with Gaza.

No injuries or damage were reported in the blast.

The Israel Air Force bombed two Hamas weapons manufacturing facilities in the northern Gaza Strip late Friday, hours after an IAF strike killed one Palestinian militant and critically wounded another east of Khan Younis.

Palestinian sources reported that six people had been wounded in the attack.

The IDF spokesman's office issued a statement saying that IAF fighter planes had also hit four tunnels used for arms smuggling along the Gaza-Egypt border. Secondary explosions were noticeable following part of the strikes, proving the presence of weapons and munitions, the statement said.

Earlier Friday, the IDF said the IAF strike near Khan Younis had targeted two Islamic Jihad militants who were planning a terror attack within Israel.

The strike was the result of a joint operation of the IDF and the Shin Bet Security Service, the IDF spokesman said.

The Israeli attacks on Friday came in response to ongoing rocket and mortar shell fire at Israel from the Gaza Strip. Two Qassam rockets and a mortar shell exploded in the western Negev Friday afternoon, causing no casualties or damages.

One of the rockets struck an open area in the Eshkol region and about an hour later another hit near the city of Sderot.

The rocket and mortar attacks came as a longer-term, Egyptian-mediated truce was expected in the next few days to cement a January 18 truce that ended an Israeli offensive in Hamas-ruled Gaza last month.

There were no immediate claims of responsibility. Rocket fire has continued sporadically since Israel and Hamas unilaterally declared cease-fires after 22 days of fighting in the Gaza Strip.

Friday's rocket fire was the first such attack since Wednesday, when militants fired at least two mortar shells at Israel. In response to that attack, Israel Air Force plans targeted a Hamas post in the southern Gaza Strip, causing no casualties.