Disgraced TV star Dudu Topaz offers to compensate alleged victims
Entertainer lashes out at attorney during hearing over seizure of his personal bank account.
Disgraced entertainer Dudu Topaz, who is suspected of orchestrating a series of assaults on three media personalities, lashed out at a prosecuting attorney on Thursday during a court hearing over the seizure of his bank account.
"Enough! Enough! Are you after the electric chair and all of my money?"the former television star shouted at the lawyer representing Channel 2 director general Avi Nir, one the personalities Topaz allegedly targeted.
"Is this what you want? For me to die? Take all the money, Please, enough," Topaz said.
Nir argued during the hearing that seizure of Topaz's personal funds would cover some of the financial damages his company suffered as a result of the extra security demands necessitated following the attack. Nir said he was also concerned that Topaz would try to smuggle the money out of the country.
"We've submitted an affidavit in which we have detailed a long list of damages, including those I have physically endured for the last year and a half and those suffered by my family," Nir told the court.
"These are damages that impaired my work," Nir added. "I received a series of letters which week after week attempted to topple my world, to hurt my work routine and which ended with three words: 'You're going to die.'"
Following the hearing, Topaz's lawyer relayed his regret for his action and declared desire to compensate those affected.
"Mr. Topaz asked me to convey to all of those injured in this affair that he will compensate them completely and that he deeply regrets his action," said his lawyer, Bruriah Leckner.
"The attempt to attack, to seize an arbitrary amount of his assets is something that we have a right to fight," Leckner added. "Even a suspect in a criminal case has the right to defend his property."