Report: Turkey completes probe of 2010 Gaza flotilla raid
Turkey's Justice Ministry has requested information from the country's Foreign Ministry on IDF soldiers to be included in indictment on flotilla raid, Today's Zaman reports.
Turkish prosecutors have completed their investigation of the IDF's 2010 raid on a Gaza-bound flotilla, Turkey's justice minister said on Tuesday, Today's Zaman reported, quoting the Anatolia news agency.
Nine Turkish pro-Palestinian activists died in a confrontation with Israeli naval commandos on board the Mavi Marmara in May 2010.
According to the Today's Zaman report, Turkish Justice Minister Sadullah Ergin said that his ministry had requested information from the Foreign Ministry on IDF soldiers to be included in an indictment related to the raid.
Following the raid, Israel established the Turkel Committee to conduct an investigation. The first part of the Turkel Committee's report determined that Israel's takeover of the flotilla had been legal in terms of international law, but criticized the IDF's preparation in advance of the arrival of flotilla as well as the operation itself.
A Turkish inquiry into the raid found that the raid was illegal.
The UN Palmer Report on the Gaza flotilla raid found that the IDF soldiers acted in self-defense, but used excessive force. The report also found Israel's naval blockade of Gaza to be legal under international law.
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed