Mavi Marmara-AP- May 22, 2010
The Mavi Marmara, aboard which Israel's deadly raid on a Gaza-bound flotilla resulted in the deaths of 9 Turkish activists May 22, 2010 Photo by AP
Text size
related tags

Israel Navy commander Adm. Eliezer Marom issued a stark warning on Sunday for the organizers of the Gaza flotilla intended to set sail at the end of the month.

"The Navy has prevented and will continue to prevent the arrival of the 'hate flotilla' whose only goals are to clash with IDF soldiers, create media provocation and to delegitimize the State of Israel," Marom cautioned, speaking during the Israel Navy Divers' Course concluding ceremony.

The Navy commander called on all parties involved to do everything they can to prevent the departure of what he called the "provocation flotilla."

He said that a number of figures in the international community have said "that a humanitarian crisis in Gaza is nonexistent, and that all supplies may enter Gaza via the land crossings in a coordinated manner."

Marom also added that the flotilla allows Hamas to get equipped with an unlimited amount of weapons in order to carry out terror acts on Israel.

On Friday, the Turkish organization IHH announced that the Mavi Marmara ship, on which nine Turkish activists were killed last May when it was intercepted by Israeli commandos on its way to Gaza, will not take part in the upcoming convoy.

Organizers of the flotilla expressed disappointment that the Turkish IHH will not take an active role in the convoy, which will still set sail without the Marmara later this month.

Meanwhile, the Israeli Arab Higher Monitoring Committee, which was supposed to discuss on Saturday the composition of its delegation for the flotilla, removed the item from its agenda in light of recent changes.

The committee said that it had been invited by the Turks to participate in the flotilla. Due to the IHH's cancellation, the number of participants from the Higher Monitoring Committee is expected to be reduced.