Report: Hezbollah wired $100,000 to suspected terrorists ahead of Burgas bombing
Funds went toward organizing blast that killed five Israelis and a Bulgarian in 2012, as well as reconnaissance missions conducted in other countries, according to local paper.
Hezbollah's military wing wired almost $100,000 to two men wanted over a bus bombing that killed five Israeli tourists and a Bulgarian bus driver in the Black Sea resort city of Burgas last year, AFP reported Friday, citing a local newspaper report.
According to the 24 Hours daily, the money was meant to organize the July 2012 blast at the Burgas airport and carry out reconnaissance missions in other countries.
On Thursday Bulgaria released the names and images of the two suspects involved in the bomb attack.
The first alleged terrorist was identified as Meliad Farah, also known as Hussein Hussein, an Australian citizen born November 5, 1980. The second is Hassan El Hajj Hassan, a Canadian citizen born March 22, 1988. A third suspect who died on the scene was not identified.
The newspaper quoted foreign intelligence services and international banks, who said that the money was wired to the suspects' Canadian and Australian bank accounts.
European Union governments agreed on Monday to put Hezbollah's military wing on the EU terror list, diplomats said, in a major reversal of policy driven by concerns over the group's activities in Europe.
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed