Text size

The Palestinian terrorist who killed three people in a stolen bulldozer in Jerusalem on Wednesday had been shot, but rallied despite his injuries, and launched a second rampage, taking the life of 33-year-old Bat-Sheva Unterman.

Unterman had been driving with her five-month-old daughter when Hussam Duwiyat plowed into their car. Duwiyat had passed out when he was shot by a policewoman and a security guard after killing Elizabeth Goren-Friedman, 54, and Jean Raloy, 68.

But he regained consciousness when someone threw a rock at him, and set off on his second killing spree, hitting the Untermans' vehicle. Bat-Sheva was killed instantly but her child was unharmed. Passers-by pulled the infant from the car moments before Duwiyat smashed into the vehicle for a second time.

Dozens of other people were wounded when the Palestinian construction worker deliberately plowed into a crowded bus and a string of cars on Jaffa Street in downtown Jerusalem.

The Untermans tried for many years to have a child, and five months ago their dream came true when Efrat was born. On Wednesday, Bat-Sheva was making her way back from a medical clinic near Jaffa Street, with Efrat by her side in the baby seat, when Hussam Duwiyat began his rampage on the busy Jerusalem street.

When Bat-Sheva turned onto Jaffa Street, it appeared the rampage had come to an end - the bulldozer was standing still and several people were clamoring around the wounded driver. But that dud not last for long.

"The bulldozer crushed the front of the car," said Jeremy Aharonson, 20, who witnessed the attack. "The driver was shot at and then he drove backwards a little. We ran to the vehicle, me and two other people. We saw the driver lying there behind the wheel, with a baby seat next to her. We saw the baby inside, who looked healthy, she wasn't even crying."

"We tried to open the door but it was bent. They were shouting at us to stay back, that the car might explode, but two of us managed to pry the door open and take the baby out," Aharonson recounted.

A moment later, the terrorist again rammed his bulldozer into the car with Bat-Sheva still inside, this time crushing it completely. It was the last vehicle he collided with before he was shot dead moments later.

Efrat was delivered unscathed into the hands of paramedics nearby. A rumor soon spread that her mother had saved her from the wreckage of her car just before she died. A team of medics checked the warped wreckage of the car to see if Bat-Sheva was still alive inside, but she no longer had a pulse.

Unterman was a resident of Jerusalem and had worked for years as a kindergarten teacher at the Har Homa neighborhood. She was born in Israel to Rivka and James Lubenstein, a couple who emigrated from Holland.

She was married to London-born Ido Unterman, whose grandfather, Isser Yehuda Unterman, was chief rabbi of Liverpool and Tel Aviv before becoming Israel's chief rabbi between 1964 and 1973.

"Neither of them, Efrat and Ido, gave up on their dream to have children," said Meira Schwartz, a family friend. "Before Efrat was born, she treated all the kindergarten children like they were her own. She was a graceful kindergarten teacher with the utmost patience for each and every child."

After the attack that killed her mother, Efrat was taken to Shaare Zedek Medical Center, where she was examined. "The whole two hours we had her she was in the children's ward, in the hands of one of the ward's secretaries, showered with attention," said Amalia Oren, the director of the Kestenbaum Department of Social Work at Shaare Zedek.

Bat-Sheva's husband Ido, an investment banker, was at work all day and had no idea that his wife had an appointment that put her at the site of the attack. He was only told that she had been killed hours after the event.

Efrat was delivered into her father's arms seven hours after the attack, which took place at noon. Around 20 minutes after he was reunited with his daughter, Ido set out for the morgue with his brother to identify his wife's body.

'It's difficult to speak about her in past tense'

Elizabeth Goren-Friedman, originally from Austria, was a resident of Katamon who worked as a teacher in a school for the blind. She was laid to rest at 10:30 P.M. in Givat Shaul.

Goren-Friedman was divorced and the mother of three children: Yael, 16, Issachar, 19, and Zvi, 23. Both of her sons were students at the Horev hesder yeshiva in Jerusalem.

Her friends described her as a "wonderful person," who volunteered regularly at the Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital.

Rachel Sakrovish, who worked with Goren-Friedman, said her colleague was an excellent teachers. "It's hard to speak about her in the past tense. Lili was a wonderful person. There was not a student that she did not help progress on a personal, educational, and rehabilitative level. We knew that if a student was retreated or having difficulties, Luly was the teacher who would do the fundamental work to help him advance."

"When I think of her, I remember the phrase, 'a woman of valor, who can find,'" she said.

'Family was the first thing with Jean'

Jean Raloy, an air-conditioner technician who lived in the Gilo neighborhood, was the third person killed in the terrorist's murder spree.

His nephew said "family was the first thing with Jean ." Raloy, who was born in Iran, was married to Hanna and the father of two daughters and a son, and was to become a grandfather in about a month.

More videos from the scene of the attack:Jerusalem terror attack: Clip 2Jerusalem terror attack: Clip 3(Please note that some of the images in these videos are of a graphic nature)