Baby brought to Safed hospital high on marijuana
Mother brought son to hospital after noticing he was overly sleepy, apathetic and walking unsteadily.
A one-and-a-half-year-old boy high on marijuana was brought to a children's intensive care unit for treatment on Thursday, after his parents noticed that he was overly sleepy, apathetic and walking unsteadily.
"The baby arrived at the hospital with his mother after repeated unsuccessful attempts on her part to wake him," said Dr. Yuri Viener, head of the children's intensive care unit at Ziv Medical Center in Safed.
The baby, who lives with his family in a northern Galilee community, underwent multiple tests after doctors suspected he ingested a toxic substance, and a urine test revealed evidence of marijuana in the boy's system.
The boy, who received respiratory treatment, along with Oxygen and fluids, woke up after five hours and is in stable condition.
Dr. Viener said it is rare that a baby would be exposed to large amounts of narcotic substances, but that even minimal exposure can cause respiratory problems, including cessation of breathing.
He stressed that parents must be extremely cautious with children of all ages when it comes to dangerous substances at home.