2 Palestinians who planned Tel Aviv attack turn themselves in
Security forces announced Thursday morning that two Palestinian students who planned to carry out a double terrorist attack in Tel Aviv had turned themselves in.
Family members said both women denied involvement in planning an attack and said they surrendered because they have nothing to hide. However, military officials said the women confessed they planned to carry out an attack.
The two female students, 21-year old Adilah Jawabre and 22-year-old Lina Jawabre, both single, studied at Al-Najah University.
The pair were from the village of Azira Shamaliya near Nablus and they turned themselves in at the Beit Iba roadblock near the West Bank city.
Military officials said the women were recruited by the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine, a militant Palestinian faction, to carry out a double suicide bombing in Tel Aviv last week.
Security forces said that the man who planned the attacks, DFLP operative Hani Aked, was killed by the IDF in Nablus on Wednesday.
Military officials said the two women turned themselves in just hours after Akkad was killed and confessed their plans to carry out a suicide bombing.
Security forces said the integration of women into Palestinian terrorist groups indicates the difficulty of recruiting men to perform the terrorist attacks.
In a separate incident on Thursday, IDF troops arrested a wanted Fatah militant at the Beit Iba roadblock, near Nablus. The woman had expressed her interest in carrying out a suicide bombing in talks with other militants in the area. Also Thursday, another wanted Fatah militant was arrested north of Nablus.
IDF troops on Wednesday night arrested a wanted Palestinian man at a roadblock near Hebron who was carrying knives concealed in a tallit, a Jewish prayer shawl.
IDF troops arrest 10 wanted Palestinian terror suspects Thursday night in West Bank. Five were arrested in Nablus, three Islamic Jihad activists were arrested northwest of Bethlehem and two other wanted men were detained near Ramallah.
Troops operating in Nablus Thursday night uncovered an explosive device in the West Bank city. There were no casualties, Israel Radio reported.
Highest death toll in West Bank in 2 yearsNine Palestinian militants and an 11-year-old girl were killed by IDF troops on Wednesday in separate incidents in Nablus and Jenin, the highest single-day Palestinian death toll in the West Bank for more than two years, according to Palestinian reports.
Four wanted Fatah militants were killed by undercover Border Police troops in the West Bank city of Jenin.
The police surprised the men at a cafe in the commercial center of Jenin, opening fire and killing the four. Three others were detained, including one wounded man who was taken to Israel for medical care.
The commander of the wanted men, Fadi Zacharna, was among the killed. He was reportedly responsible for several terror attacks.
Police confiscated three rifles and two pistols from the militants.
Earlier on Wednesday, five militants were killed during a gun battle with naval commandos in the West Bank city of Nablus. An 11-year-old girl was also killed during clashes following the incident, according to Palestinian reports.
Troops from the elite naval commando unit Shayetet 13 surrounded a Nablus building where wanted militants were holed up. A gun battle erupted after the militants refused to obey IDF orders to turn themselves in. Five of the armed men were killed during the clashes and a sixth man was reportedly injured.
An army spokesman confirmed that operations were underway in the city, saying that "troops were attacked while in Nablus and returned fire."
Four of the dead were Tanzim men, while the fifth belonged to the Islamic Jihad. The militants who were killed were responsible for numerous shooting incidents in the Nablus area, and had planned to carry out attacks inside Israel. IDF forces were continuing operations in the city.
Some 19 mortar shells were fired on Tuesday night at the Neveh Dekalim settlement in the Gaza Strip and at a nearby IDF position. No injuries were reported, but an industrial building inside the settlement sustained damage after suffering a direct hit.
According to data supplied by Gaza's Gush Katif settlement bloc, 4,409 mortar shells were fired at the settlements in the bloc in the past year.
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed