John Swanson - Comment - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper
  • p.TextOutput { R static java.lang.String p.mt = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValuePolicy'; R static java.lang.String p.publicInterfaces = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValued'; R static java.lang.String p.beanClass = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValuePolicy'; RW java.lang.String value = '1'; R transient java.lang.Object _data = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.NumberInputPolicy'; },ModelStore=com.polopoly.model.ModelStoreInMap p.TextOutput { R static java.lang.String p.mt = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValuePolicy'; R static java.lang.String p.publicInterfaces = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValued'; R static java.lang.String p.beanClass = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValuePolicy'; RW java.lang.String value = '1'; R transient java.lang.Object _data = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.NumberInputPolicy'; },ModelStore=com.polopoly.model.ModelStoreInMap
    • zionist forever
    • 08.03.11 | 16:50 (IST)

    If Israel were to return to the 1948 borders it would be left with 55% of mandate Palestine minus Jaffa and Jerusalem which is what the UN proposed borders of 1947 were to be. With the arab state getting the remaining 45% plus Jaffa. When the war ended in 1949 Israel was left with 78% of Palestine, Jaffa and west Jerusalem. The 67 border is the ceasefire line from 1949. What Israel captured in 1967 was the remaining 22% of mandate Palestine. So returning to the 48 border would leave Israel with 55% rather than 78% it would have if it gave the arabs everything they wanted.

    from the article: Netanyahu: If enemy rockets get to Jordan Valley, all of Israel will be a target
    First published 13:21 08.03.11 | Last updated 13:21 08.03.11
Haaretz Headlines
Palestinian Hamas militants march in front of a mock burnt Israeli bus during an anti-Israel rally

Gaza tensions are rising as Israel gains edge over Hamas tunnels

Hamas is under pressure twice over, from both the worsening domestic situation in the Strip and the militant organization potentially losing its main threat against Israel.

Opposition leader Isaac Herzog and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

Opposition MKs doubt Herzog will join Netanyahu’s coalition

Herzog hasn't explicitly ruled out joining coalition, and is keeping talks on the matter from his colleagues. Herzog 'knows full well that there is a hard core of MKs in the party who will not allow this maneuver,' Zionist Union lawmaker says.

Amjed Hussain and Nicola Sturgeon at the Scottish National Party's election manifesto launch.

SNP suspends activist over anti-Israel Facebook posts

Amjed Hussain reportedly shared Facebook posts claiming the Mossad was responsible for the 9/11 attacks and linking ISIS to Israel.

Border police photographed at Qalandiyah shortly after last week's two deadly shootings.

Palestinian father tries to make sense of two offspring killed in Qalandiyah

'Let's say she had a knife even if she had a cannon – why couldn't they shoot her in the legs? And why did they shoot her brother? Why did they kill them both?,' dad of slain 16 and 26 year old says.