Apartheid is fair description - Comment - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper
  • p.TextOutput { R static java.lang.String p.mt = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValuePolicy'; R static java.lang.String p.publicInterfaces = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValued'; R static java.lang.String p.beanClass = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValuePolicy'; RW java.lang.String value = '0'; R transient java.lang.Object _data = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.NumberInputPolicy'; },ModelStore=com.polopoly.model.ModelStoreInMap p.TextOutput { R static java.lang.String p.mt = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValuePolicy'; R static java.lang.String p.publicInterfaces = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValued'; R static java.lang.String p.beanClass = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValuePolicy'; RW java.lang.String value = '0'; R transient java.lang.Object _data = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.NumberInputPolicy'; },ModelStore=com.polopoly.model.ModelStoreInMap
    • Spokanite
    • 01.03.10 | 21:55 (IST)

    It is incorrect to label Israeli treatment of Palestinians in the territories as a holocaust or genocide. However, it is not off base to label it as apartheid. You don't have to show that it is the same in every respect as South African apartheid, to call it such. In both cases, there is a policy of favoring one class of people over another. In South Africa, the government classified blacks as citizens of phony homelands, recognized by no other country, as a justification for denying them political and civil rights in South Africa. Israel has carved out separated enclaves in 40% of the West Bank in which the PA has nominal civil authority, and claims this gives them the moral justification to treat its own (Jewish) citizens as a privileged minority in the other 60%.) Many Israelis recognize that if the situation prevailing in the West Bank were to be made permanent, it would undermine Israel's claims to be a democratic state. But whether permanent or indefinite it is still apartheid.

    from the article: Universities across the globe mark Israeli Apartheid Week
    First published 02:21 01.03.10 | Last updated 19:11 01.03.10
Haaretz Headlines
Breaking news.
Stabbing attempted in Hebron; attacker shot dead

The assailant, a Palestinian woman, was shot and killed at the scene.

13:15 13.02.16 | 0 comments
Drilling for Hamas tunnels Gaza
Hamas tunnel threat burrows into minds of Israeli military, political leaders

Hamas may have told Israel it isn’t looking for another war in Gaza, but it’s clearly desperate to advance its attack tunnels. It’s also delighted to be sowing seeds of discontent and concern among the Israeli public.

04:19 13.02.16 | 0 comments
Egyptian doctors protest police abuses Cairo
Thousands of Egyptian doctors protest against police abuses

The standoff suggests that Egypt's powerful security forces may have overstepped their limits by clashing with one of the country's most respected professions.

12:16 13.02.16 | 0 comments
What's good for one person might be bad for another, and vice versa.
Which foods make you fat? The answer is in your gut

Is rice more healthful than ice cream? Not necessarily. Are potatoes harmful? Not for everyone. A breakthrough study by two researchers from the Weizmann Institute shows that each of us has a different 'microbiome,' that makes us respond to foods differently. Get ready for a new medical revolution.

16:31 11.02.16 | 0 comments