22% isn't fair but its reality - Comment - Israel News | Haaretz Daily Newspaper
  • p.TextOutput { R static java.lang.String p.mt = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValuePolicy'; R static java.lang.String p.publicInterfaces = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValued'; R static java.lang.String p.beanClass = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValuePolicy'; RW java.lang.String value = '0'; R transient java.lang.Object _data = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.NumberInputPolicy'; },ModelStore=com.polopoly.model.ModelStoreInMap p.TextOutput { R static java.lang.String p.mt = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValuePolicy'; R static java.lang.String p.publicInterfaces = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValued'; R static java.lang.String p.beanClass = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.SingleValuePolicy'; RW java.lang.String value = '0'; R transient java.lang.Object _data = 'com.polopoly.cm.app.policy.NumberInputPolicy'; },ModelStore=com.polopoly.model.ModelStoreInMap
    • zionist forever
    • 27.06.10 | 12:21 (IDT)

    In 1947 the UN voted on dividing mandate Palestine 49% / 51% . The arabs rejected the idea and we had a war. In 1949 when the ceasefire lines were drawn up Israel was left with 78% Jordan & Egypt between them got the remaining 22% which is what Israel captured in 1967. The situation on the ground has changed now and even though the 1949 lines never became Israels legal border but the new reality is Israel is never going to give away even 1 inch over 22% and there will be no right of return. If we work out a deal based on Israel returning to the pre 1967 border ( 5900km for the palestinians ) they will still not be getting a fair deal based on what they could have had in 1948 but the world isn't fair & in 2010 22% is the best they can hope for. The problem from the start has been the oslo formula which has been based on deadlines partly because of the egos of the serving US president who wants to be able to say this arab state was created on my watch Obama included when it should have been based on trust building over time rather than deadlines.

    from the article: Erekat to Meridor: Without two-state solution by year's end, 'you will sweat'
    First published 08:09 26.06.10 | Last updated 08:09 26.06.10
Haaretz Headlines
Migrants arrive at the Hungarian-Austrian border in Nickelsdorf, Austria, Sept. 5, 2015.

Thousands of migrants stream to Austria from Hungary

Austria and Germany agree to allow the migrants access, waiving the rules of an asylum system brought to breaking point by Europe's worst refugee crisis since the Yugoslav wars of the '90s.

European Union foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini shakes hands with Palestinian President Abbas

Arab states, Quartet to meet on Israel-Palestine

Representatives from Egypt, Jordan and Saudi Arabia and the head of the Arab League will join the Middle East Quartet for talks in September as part of an EU initiative.

Yizhar David

Former Shin Bet agent takes on Israel's school system

'Compared to other systems, the education system is light-years behind,' says Yizhar David, who spent 20 years in the security service and is now a teacher.

Illustration

Be’ezrat ha-shem: A helping hand with your Hebrew

StreetWise Hebrew Podcast | An 'ozer' is an 'assistant,' but could also mean 'he's helping' - a verb in the present tense. How are you supposed to know which one it is?