Iran will move its uranium enrichment plants to safer sites if conditions make this necessary, the semi-official Mehr news agency on Wednesday quoted a senior Revolutionary Guards commander as saying.

"If conditions require, we will move our uranium enrichment centers to safer places," Mehr quoted Brigadier General Gholamreza Jalali as saying.

Jalali's comment came in the wake of several recent reports of unexplained blasts in Iran.

On Sunday, at least seven people were killed in an explosion at a steel mill in the Iranian city of Yazd. Foreign nationals, possibly North Korean nuclear arms experts, are believed to be among the dead.

The explosion follows two blasts that occurred in Iran in recent weeks at sites linked to Tehran's nuclear program.

Late last month, The Times of London reported that a mysterious blast that rocked Isfahan in western Iran days before damaged a key nuclear facility in the city.

Haaretz cited Iranian media as reporting that an explosion was heard near Isfahan, home to a uranium conversion plant operational since 2004.

According to reports by the semi-official Fars news agency, frightened residents called the fire department after the blast, forcing the city authorities to admit there had been an explosion. Residents reported that their windows shook from the explosion's force.

Earlier that month, American and Israeli intelligence officials told the New York Times that an explosion at a military base near Tehran which took place two weeks before the Isfahan blast was a major setback for Iran's long-range missile program and completely destroyed the .

The officials said that surveillance photos showed that the Iranian base was a central testing center for advanced solid-fuel missiles, which are better equipped than older, liquid-fuel designs to carry warheads long distances.