Soccer / Violence / Another delay to start of season in Egypt
Egyptian Football Association issued a statement confirming a second delay to the start of the season but did not give a detailed explanation
CAIRO - The start of the season in Egypt has been postponed indefinitely, meaning there is still no resumption after the domestic leagues were put on hold following a stadium disaster eight months ago.
Seventy-four people died, most of them crushed in a stampede, and at least 1,000 were injured when local side Al Masry played Al Ahli of Cairo at Port Said Stadium on Feb. 2.
The Egyptian Football Association issued a statement confirming a second delay to the start of the season but did not give a detailed explanation. The season was supposed to get under way last month.
It appears the most recent delay is over concerns about potential trouble from hardcore fans who want justice to be served against the security officials they hold responsible for the Port Said disaster.
Last month's delay had been attributed to a dispute over broadcasting rights. Al Ahli and Zamalek, another side from Cairo, are two of the biggest teams on the continent, and this year's African club competition matches held in Egypt have been played behind closed doors.
Many fans believe the trouble at the Feb 2. game was sparked by hired thugs.