Oshrenko murder charges delayed for new Karlik testimony
The indictment against Damian Karlik, who admitted to murdering six members of the Oshrenko family last month, will be postponed, because Karlik told police he hasn't told them everything about the murders yet.
The indictment against his wife Natalia will be postponed as well.
The six Oshrenkos - two young children, their parents and their grandparents - were found stabbed to death in their Rishon Letzion apartment, which had been partially torched.
Karlik told his interrogators that they were not aware of certain elements of his past, but that he wasn't ready to talk about them yet, police sources said.
"There are other things that made me carry out the murders," Karlik told interrogators. "But I can't tell you what they are yet."
The police informed the prosecutor in charge of the case, Zachi Uziel, and consulted with senior officers, before deciding to continue investigating.
However, a senior officer in the investigations department told Haaretz he didn't expect any particularly important revelations.
"Karlik is quite the manipulator - a lot of things he told us about himself turned out to have been false," he said. "The more we advance, the more we see him behaving like a very experienced, calculated Mafioso."
The officer said Karlik didn't say he was involved in other killings in Russia, before he immigrated Israel.
"Right now we don't have any information linking him to other killings," said the officer. "But everything will be checked. He's very careful in what he says."
Yesterday Damian and Natalia Karlik were brought to the Ramle Magistrate's Court. Police sought to extend their remand by another 10 days, saying developments in the investigation had prompted the prosecution to postpone the indictments.
The defense attorneys for the couple, however, told the court that the investigation was over, and that there was no point to delaying the indictments any further. The Ramle court extended their remands by six days.
Damian Karlik's attorney, Uri Keinan, appealed to the Tel Aviv District Court yesterday against Karlik's conditions in jail - the suspect spends most of the day with his hands and feet chained to his bed.
Damian Karlik's parents, Oleg and Olga Karlik, and his sister-in-law Maria Ilyinich, were released yesterday to house arrest.
"I can't believe our son did that, it's terrible, I wish it was a nightmare we could wake up from," said the mother as the family left the court. "I don't know what happened to him, I can't look people in the eye."
The next hearing for Damian and Natalia Karlik was set for Sunday.
By that time, the prosecutors are expected to have decided whether to charge Natalia with murder as well.