Modern Manna recipe / Grape leaves quiche
This recipe calls for fresh grape leaves only, and will not work with those from a jar.
However, you can replace the grape leaves with Swiss chard for just as wonderful results.
Fresh grape leaves can be found at many Middle-Eastern markets, or can be picked in vineyards.
You can use a store-bough pie shell for this recipe. Bake it as in step 4 and continue as usual.
For a 9” quiche
For the pastry:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoons salt
Pinch of nutmeg
1 stick cold unsalted butter (8 tablespoons)
3 to 4 tablespoons cold water
For the filling:
2 tablespoons butter
2 oz. fresh grape leaves
3/4 cup whipping cream
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch of nutmeg
4 oz. goat cheese
2 tablespoons dried sour cherries (optional)
1. Make the pastry: in the food processor mix together the flour, salt and nutmeg. Add the butter in cubes, and run the food processor for about 30 seconds. Add the water, a tablespoon at a time, until it forms a dough. Pat the dough into a smooth, round flattened disk. Use immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
2. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pastry dough into a 12-inch round. Drape the pastry over the rolling pin and carefully transfer to a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Gently ease the pastry into the pan. Trim the pastry even with the pan rim. Prick the bottom of the pastry shell with a fork and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat an oven to 375 degrees.
4. Cover the dough with aluminum foil and cover the foil with dried beans as a weight. Bake the pastry for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake until the pastry looks dry but not brown, about 5 minutes more. Remove from the oven; reduce the temperature to 350 degrees.
5. Make the filling: Heat 2 cups of water and the butter in saucepan. When the water reaches boiling add the grape leaves, lower the heat, and cook for 20 minutes. Strain and put in a colander to dry.
6. Mix the whipping cream, eggs, egg yolks, salt and nutmeg in a small bowl. Spread a couple of spoonfuls of the cream mixture over the quiche shell. Nicely arrange a thin layer of the grape leaves on top. Crumble 1/3 of the goat cheese on top, 1/3 of the cherries and a 1/3 of the cream mixture. Continue with two more layers.
7. Bake the quiche for 30 minutes. Serve warm with a green salad on the side.