- 11:08 AM
Fear of rioting, disorder at Temple Mount prompt restrictions on Muslim worshiper (Haaretz)
- 8:48 AM
- 6:49 AM
Mexico: Death toll 27 after truck hits religious procession (AP)
Mexico approves U.S. extradition warrant for fugitive kingpin 'El Chapo' (Reuters)
Surfer seriously injured in Australian shark attack (AP)
Greece's Tsipras asserts control over party with congress vote (Reuters)
- 12:46 AM
Judge sets $1m bond for Ohio officer charged in murder of unarmed African-American (Reuters)
Nigeria rescues 71, mostly women and girls, from Boko Haram (AP)
Education Minister Bennett orders increased funding for gay youth organizations (Haaretz)
Hundreds march in Jerusalem, chanting 'homophobia begins in corridors of the government' (Haaretz)
U.S., allies conduct 31 air strikes in Syria and Iraq against ISIS militants (Reuters)
Jerusalem Gay Pride Parade: Stabber is Yishai Schlissel, the 2005 parade attacker (Haaretz)
Modern Manna recipe / Fried eggplant in lemon and mint
The classic black eggplant variety works best in recipes that require frying, like this one.
Serve the eggplant over a slice of a good bread.
One classic black eggplant
Kosher salt for sprinkling
Corn oil for frying
Juice from half a lemon
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons mint, finely chopped
1 jalapeno, thinly slices (optional)
1. Peel the eggplant using a vegetable peeler (you can also leave stripes of peel). Slice the eggplant into 1/3” think round or long slices. Arrange the slices in a colander and sprinkle every layer with kosher salt. Put the colander over a large bowl and let the eggplant stand for one to two hours.
2. Wash the eggplant under running water then dry with paper towels.
3. In a frying pan over medium heat put 1/4” corn oil for frying. Fry the eggplants in one layer (you will have to do it in two batches) until the slices are deep golden brown. Transfer to a tray lined with paper towels.
4. In a small bowl mix the lemon juice and garlic.
5. Arrange the eggplant slices on a serving tray, drizzle the lemon juice on top and sprinkle with mint and jalapeno.