Modern Manna recipe / Eggplant, cherry tomato, olives, feta and emmer wheat salad
A Mediterranean salad with a wheaty and cheesy twist.
Emmer wheat (Farro) is available from health food markets.
Lebanese bitter green olives are available at Middle Eastern markets.
1 classic black eggplant
Kosher salt for sprinkling
1 yellow pepper
2 pints cherry tomatoes
1.5 cups Emmer wheat(Farro)
1/4 cup bitter green olives (or other olives), pitted and chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta
1. Peel the eggplant using a vegetable peeler (you can also leave stripes of peel). Cut the eggplant into 1” cubes. Arrange the cubes in a colander and sprinkle every layer with kosher salt. Put the colander over a large bowl and let the eggplant stand for one to two hours.
2. Wash the eggplant under running water then dry with paper towels.
3. Turn the oven to 400 degrees. line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Arrange the cherry tomatoes on one and the eggplant cubes on the other. Put the whole yellow pepper on the eggplant’s tray.
4. Transfer the two trays to the oven and roast for 30 minutes. Shake both trays every 15 minutes and rotate between them. After 30 minutes the tomatoes will be ready - take them out of the oven. Roast the eggplant and pepper for 15 minutes more until the eggplant is soft inside. Take the eggplant tray out of the oven. Transfer the pepper into a sealed box and let it cool.
5. While the vegetables are roasting prepare the Emmer according to the package instructions.
6. Mix the emmer with the tomatoes, eggplants and mix gently. Peel and chop the pepper and add it to the salad. Add the olives and feta and serve.