Modern Manna recipe / Date and honey cake for Rosh Hashanah
Festive cake for the Jewish New Year.
You can find pressed dates and silan (date molasses) at Middle Eastern and kosher markets.
13 oz. pressed dates package (Get at the Kosher Mart or Yekta in Rockville)
1.5 cups boiling water
1 cup plus 2 TBSP oil (I use corn oil)
1 1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup honey or Silan (date molasses)
2.25 cups flour
3 TBSP cocoa powder
1.5 tsp baking soda
a little salt
1/2 cup sugar
5 oz. chopped chocolate
1/2 cup chopped walnut
1. Oven to 325 degrees. Oil and line two loaf pans with parchment paper.
2. Pour the boiling water on the pressed dates and wait for it to chill a little. Puree the dates with the water to a soft paste.
3. Mix the oil, 1 1/4 cup sugar, honey and eggs.
4. In another bowl mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the oil mixture and the dates to the flour mixture and mix well.
5. Divide the batter between the pans. Mix the 1/2 cup sugar, chocolate and walnut and sprinkle on top of the cakes.
6. Bake for 50 minutes.