Iran seeks legal actions against U.S. ex-officials over threats of military strike
Official news agency Press TV cites Iran Prosecutor General as urging Interpol intervention following comments by former American security officials.
Iranian officials said on Monday that they had undertaken steps to prosecute U.S. officials for advocating a military strike of Iran and a targeting of Iranian officials.
The statement by Iran's Prosecutor General Office came following remarks made by retired U.S. Army general Jack Keane, who earlier this year urged the administration of U.S. President Barack Obama to use covert action against Iran and target members of the Quds Force, the Guard's special foreign actions unit.
A report by Iran's official news agency Press TV also cited comments made by former CIA official Reuel Marc Gerecht who was reported as saying regarding Iran's nuclear standoff with the West: "I don't think that you are going to really intimidate these people, get their attention, unless you shoot somebody."
It was also reported that the two officials, during their testimony before a U.S. Congressional subcommittee last month, urged the Obama administration to target top Iranian security officials, including Quds Force chief Qasem Soleimani.
As a response to what Iranian officials characterized as U.S. threats, Press TV quoted Iranian Prosecutor General Gholam-Hossein Mohseni-Ejei sa saying that “Iran's Prosecutor General Office and the judiciary have opened a case for the two American nationals. The judge has asked Interpol to follow the case."
"We are providing more documents to the Interpol, so that the two Americans, who have threatened the Iranian commander with assassination, would be prosecuted,” Mohseni-Ejei said.
The Iranian report also made reference to a letter signed by top U.S. officials urging Obama to "prevent Iran from building a nuclear weapon, and from further expansion of its terror operations, all options must be left on the table --including military action.”
The letter, issued late last month, was signed by Chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee Peter King, Chairman of Subcommittee on Oversight, Investigations, and Management Michael McCaul, and Chairman of the Subcommittee on Counterterrorism and Intelligence Patrick Meehan.
As means for the struggle against Iran's nuclear ambitions, the letter's signatories urge Obama to "designate the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps as a foreign terrorist organization; use significant covert action against the Iranian regime, including against facilities and personnel responsible for killing our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq; conduct cyber operations against the Iranian regime; and support democratic resistance movements in Iran.