Several Iranian parliament deputies demanded that the country's opposition leaders be sentenced to death on Tuesday, state television reported.

This demand came in light of renewed opposition protests on Monday in Tehran and at least five other cities, which were eventually suppressed by police. The protests were inspired by the unrest that has engulfed the Arab world, leading to the ouster of the presidents of both Egypt and Tunisia and demonstrations that persist in both Bahrain and Yemen.

The opposition, led by former Prime Minister Mir-Hossein Moussavi and ex-parliament speaker Mehdi Karroubi, called for solidarity demonstrations in support of popular uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia.

The deputies shouted, "Death to Moussavi, Karroubi and Khatami," also condemning former President Mohammad Khatami, another opposition leader, the official news agency IRNA said.

The opposition's rallying call was widely regarded as an effort to expose the hypocrisy of Iran's leaders by exposing that while the government supported popular uprisings in Arab countries, its domestic policies forbid such protests in Iran.

An Iranian was shot dead in an opposition rally in Tehran on Monday according to the semi-official Fars news agency. Opposition supporters are blamed for his death.
Iranian security forces clashed with supporters of the opposition in the central city of Isfahan on Monday and arrested dozens of protesters at a banned rally backing uprisings in Egypt and Tunisia, a witness said.

Thousands of people marched on Imam Hossein square in Tehran Monday. The march was a test of strength for the reformist opposition, which had not taken to the streets since Dec. 2009, when eight people were killed.

Large numbers of police and security forces wearing riot gear were stationed around the main squares of the capital and traveling in pairs on motorbikes around the city. There were minor clashes at some points across the sprawling capital city of some 12 million people, witnesses said. Mobile telephone connections were down in the area of the protests.

"There were thousands of people walking towards Azadi Square. There were some scuffles. I saw smoke, but I am not sure if it was tear gas or not," said a witness.

The demonstrators marched down Enghelab and Azadi (Freedom) streets, leading to Azadi Square, a traditional rallying point for protests in central Tehran dominated by a huge white marble arch. Hundreds of marchers also gathered in the cities of Isfahan and Shiraz, witnesses said.

Iranian authorities have warned the opposition to avoid creating a "security crisis" by reviving protests that erupted after the vote, the biggest unrest in Iran since the 1979 revolution.