Lebanese Shiite militant group Hezbollah said Friday that Israel alone will decide whether there will be a war in the region or not.

Referring to the recent war of words between Israel, Lebanon and Syria, Hezbollah Deputy Secretary General, Sheikh Naim Kassem ruled out an imminent war with Israel, but reiterated his movement's readiness "even if the war starts tomorrow."

"Hezbollah will be in a defensive position and will not be the one to wage an attack or start a war, and the same thing applies to others: Iran, Syria and Hamas."

Kassem added that "Israel alone decides whether there will be a war in the region or not."

An official Syrian mouthpiece said at the beginning of the month that while the path to peace with Israel is open, the path to war and destruction remains open as well.

Syria's comments were preceded by remarks from Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, who at the beginning of the month said, "Assad should know that if he attacks, he will not only lose the war. Neither he nor his family will remain in power."

Kassem also promised that Hezbollah would avenge the 2008 assassination of its former military commander Imad Mughniyeh at the "appropriate" time.

Kassem told the affiliated al-Intiqad website referring to avenging Mughniyeh's assasination "We won't define the time and place, but we consider that our responsibility is to fulfill the pledge by the appropriate means and at the appropriate timing."

"It is a matter of circumstances and timing, and God willing, they will take place at the right moment," Kassem said.

Hezbollah accuses Israel of being behind the car bombing that killed Mughniyah in Damascus on February 12, 2008.

Mughniyeh had been on the U.S. most-wanted list since the 1980s. He was blamed for the kidnapping of western hostages in Beirut in the 1980s and the 1983 bombing that killed 240 U.S. Marines.

"It is a matter of circumstances and timing, and God willing, they will take place at the right moment," Kassem said.