Only military action can stop Iran from achieving nuclear weapons capabilities, former Mossad chief Danny Yatom told Army Radio late Wednesday night, though he added that he doubted the United States would approve such a step.

Responding to an interviewer's query, asking Yatom if he had reached the conclusion that only military action could stop Iran's drive toward nuclear weapons, the ex-Mossad head said "yes, I have reached that conclusion."

According to the former intelligence chief, the "world needs to understand - an Iranian bomb poses a risk to its safety."

However, he added, he could not see "a U.S.-led world ready to take risks involved in striking Iran's nuclear facilities."

U.S. envoy to the United Nations Susan Rice said Wednesday that the United States intended to study carefully Iran's proposals for resolving its nuclear standoff with the West, submitted earlier that day, and said she hoped its offers would be constructive.

"We hope that what is contained in that response is a serious, substantive and constructive response to the P5 + 1 proposal," U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice told reporters after a meeting of the UN Security Council. "We will study the content carefully."

The "P5 +1" refers to the five permanent Security Council members and Germany, which have offered Iran a package of economic and political incentives in exchange for a suspension of Tehran's nuclear enrichment program.

Yatom: Netanyahu agreed to full Golan pullout in first term

Yatom also said Thursday that Netanyahu had agreed to a full withdrawal from the Golan Heights in exchange for peace and normalized ties with Syria.

Yatom, who headed the Mossad during Netanyahu's first stint as prime minister in 1996-1998, told Israel Radio that a document to be published in his upcoming book was proof for his claims.

In that paper, Yatom said, Netanyahu's envoy to the talks with Syria reported the PM's consent to the withdrawal to then U.S. President Bill Clinton.

Environmental Protection Minister Gilad Erdan said in response that Netanyahu had never agreed to a Golan Heights pullout, a fact which the PM had reiterated numerous times, adding that he thought there was no point in rehashing the past.