Boston police: No arrest yet in Boston marathon bombings
Suspect apparently identified from CCTV footage taken from department store at the scene of the attacks, but no one taken into custody; FBI cancels planned press conference.
Despite reports to the contrary, Boston police and the U.S. Attorney in the city insist that no arrest has yet been made in the investigation of Monday's Boston marathon bombing, in which three people were killed and dozens injured.
The statement comes after reports that a suspect, who had been identified from CCTV footage taken moments before the blasts, had been taken into custody.
Police may make an appeal to the public for more information at a news conference scheduled for later on Wednesday, a U.S. government source said.
Earlier, CNN reported that a suspect was in custody, citing law enforcement sources. But then the network cited three sources who said no one was under arrest after all.
The identification of a possible suspect marked the most significant publicly disclosed break since Monday's blast at the marathon finish line killed three people and injured 176 others.
Investigators were also searching through thousands of pieces of evidence from cell phone pictures to shrapnel shards pulled from victims' legs.
Based on shards of metal, fabric, wires and a battery recovered at the scene, the focus turned to whoever may have made bombs in pressure cooker pots and taken them in heavy black nylon bags to the finish line of the world-famous race watched by crowds of spectators.
A stretch of Boston's Boylston Street almost a mile long and blocks around it remained closed as investigators searched for clues in the worst attack on U.S. soil since the hijacked plane strikes of Sept. 11, 2001.
An FBI press conference on the investigation that was originally planned for midnight Israel time was canceled.