Modern Manna recipe / Lamb, fennel and artichoke in egg-lemon sauce
This Italian inspired recipe has a egg-lemon sauce originating from Greece. For Passover, serve this dish with roasted potatoes. For the rest of the year couscous or rice will work better.
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 lb. boneless lamb shoulder, cut to large cubes
Kosher salt and black pepper
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup white wine
1 cup chicken broth
2 fennel bulbs, cut to quarters
2 leeks, white and light green parts only, cut into 2” long pieces
1 bag of frozen artichoke hearts
1/2 cup chopped Italian parsley
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1. In a large heavy bottom pot heat the olive oil over high heat. Sprinkle the lamb with salt and pepper and brown on all sides (do it in a couple of batches or more).
2. Add the garlic, wine and broth to the pot, cover and cook over low heat for 1.5 hours until the meat is tender.
3. Add the fennel and leek and cook for another 25 minutes.
4. Add the artichoke and parsley and cook for 10 minutes more.
5. Mix the egg yolk with the lemon juice. Remove the pot from the heat, mix the yolk mixture in and let sit for a few minutes. Adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Like us on Facebook and get articles directly in your news feed